Category:Mount Sedborough Manor

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to: navigation, search

Mount Sedborough Manor

The small proportion of Latgir, containing the lands Coolenemarrowe, Dirrimore and Dromanagh, 2/3 of a tate each; Ratiny and Lisnegowlan, one and 3/4 tate each; Owencalmadan, 1/5 of a tate; Latgir, Mullanelohoge, Kilca, Tawnnategerman, Drombealan, Coronegegie, and Balliagaquill, each 2/3 of a tate; Aghdromsillagh, one and 1/3 tate; Tatenegeragh, 2/3 tate, Tateconuill, 2/3 tate; Dromsure, 1/3 tate; Bosallagh, one and 1/3 tate; Golan, Knappagh, Drumsough, Killurad, and Cornemucklogh, 2/3 tate each; total 1,000 arces.

Killeferbane, 1/3 tate and another parcel, containing 2/3 tate, are excepted from this grant. Rent £5.6s.8d English. The premises are created into the manor of Mount Sedborough, with 300 acres in demesne; power to create tenures and to hold a court baron. To hold forever, as of the castle of Dublin, in common socage, subject to the conditions of the plantation of Ulster. 11th May 1613

The Plantation of Ulster

One thousand acres was granted to John Sedborough of Porlock in Somerset, England around about 1614, which centred on the townland of Rateen. Originally called the Manor of Latgir but later Mount Sedborough. John Sedborough died in 1629 bequeathing the property to Barbara and her husband John Mayne.

In 1641 during the Irish rebellion of that year, John Mayne was murdered there in front of his family leaving his wife and only son, John. The Mayne family still has descendants of John and Barbara living at Mount Sedborough.

The following townlands are part of the original grant to John Sedborough :