Difference between revisions of "Aghadrumsee"
|Line 87:||Line 87:|
[[Aghnachuill]], [[Bosallagh]], [[Crocknaboghill]], [[Dernawilt]], [[Drumswords]], [[Killyfole]], [[Killygorman]], [[
[[Aghnachuill]], [[Bosallagh]], [[Crocknaboghill]], [[Dernawilt]], [[Drumswords]], [[Killyfole]], [[Killygorman]], [], [[Mullynalughoge]], [[Tattynageeragh]]
Revision as of 23:55, 22 February 2010
|Irish: Achadh Droim Saileach|
Aghadrumsee shown within Northern Ireland
|Irish grid reference|
|Constituent country||Northern Ireland|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||028 677 51|
|European Parliament||Northern Ireland|
|UK Parliament||Fermanagh and South Tyrone|
|NI Assembly||Fermanagh and South Tyrone|
|List of places: UK • Northern Ireland • Fermanagh|
The earliest known spelling of Aghadrumsee is Aghadromsillagh. 
There is a local story of a black fairy dog (Púca), which shows itself to certain people. One story is of a local woman who was told the tale by some young men. The black dog only shows itself to the young men as they walked her home after attending a good Céilí. A good excuse to walk a pretty girl home, or do only true believers see the truth?
It is worth noting that this area has been known as "Black Dog's Lane", in the past. However, the exact location is more in the Drumswords townland, by the "March Ditch". Also, reports of ghostly black dogs are not uncommon in the British Isles.
The community is served by a number of churches and gospel halls.
There are three primary schools, two Roman Catholic, Cornagague and Corranny, and one controlled – Aghadrumsee. All are sited in rural locations within three miles of each other and fall under the Western Education and Library Board (WELB) catchment area.
- Aghadrumsee Primary School - Controlled
- Cornagague Primary School - Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS)
- Corranny Primary School - Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS)
Historically, the current two storey building which is now attached to the orange hall was the old school at Aghadrumsee. In the Survey of Education in 1826 it was described as costing £120 and was funded by the Kildare Place Society. No figures for enrolment are given as it was not yet open.
The new school was built as a replacement in 1937. It was then enlarged and renovated in 1973-74 to take in children from Magheraveely and Roslea. The school now caters for children from a wide rural area.
Other schools in the local area, which are now closed, included Rateen National School.
Buildings of note
There is an Orange Hall at Aghadrumsee and another one at nearby Dromaddy.
The area also has a Gaelic Athletic Club called St Macartans Aghadrumsee which provides sport for both men and women. The local badminton team has a good reputation for skillful players.
Historically the town of Clones has had a significant influence on this rural community mainly due to the railway which used to go through it. The New Line.
- Escheated Counties Map (1609)
- "Gaelic Geographical Root Words for Irish Town Names". http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/resgeoterm.html.