Difference between revisions of "Aghalurcher Glebe"

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(5 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 4: Line 4:
 
'''Aghalurcher Glebe''' is a townland in South-Eastern [[wp:County Fermanagh|County Fermanagh]], [[wp:Northern Ireland|Northern Ireland]].  
 
'''Aghalurcher Glebe''' is a townland in South-Eastern [[wp:County Fermanagh|County Fermanagh]], [[wp:Northern Ireland|Northern Ireland]].  
  
Area 61:2:26
 
  
 
==Etymology==
 
==Etymology==
Line 12: Line 11:
 
Aghalurcher Glebe ({{lang-ga|Achadh Urchaire}}) means "field of the shot or cast"
 
Aghalurcher Glebe ({{lang-ga|Achadh Urchaire}}) means "field of the shot or cast"
  
{{cquote|The original lrish name of Aghalurcher is ACHADH URCHAIR (the name also used by the Four Masters) which means the field of the shot or cast, the name is accounted for, as usual. by a legend about the patron saint. The people disputed about the place where the church was to be erected. and they finally canie to thc agreement to cast a stone into the firmament by a sling (CRANN TABHAILL) and to build the church upon the spot in which God would permit it to fall. The stone was tlung, and fell at a considerable distance from the place on the beautiful field not far from the eastern bank of Lough Erne, where the
+
{{cquote|The original lrish name of Aghalurcher is ACHADH URCHAIR (the name also used by the Four Masters) which means the field of the shot or cast, the name is accounted for, as usual, by a legend about the patron saint (St Ronan). The people disputed about the place where the church was to be erected and they finally came to the agreement to cast a stone into the firmament by a sling (CRANN TABHAILL) and to build the church upon the spot in which God would permit it to fall. The stone was flung, and fell at a considerable distance from the place on the beautiful field not far from the eastern bank of Lough Erne, where the
ruins of the old church are now to be seen. The patron saint gave this place the name Achadh Urchair (field of the shot) from this circumstance.|||OS Memoirs 1835|}}
+
ruins of the [[Aghalurcher Church|old church]] are now to be seen. The patron saint gave this place the name Achadh Urchair (field of the shot) from this circumstance.|||John O'Donovan, November 24th 1834|}}
  
 
==1901 Census==
 
==1901 Census==
Line 19: Line 18:
 
!Head of Family!!Landholder (if different)
 
!Head of Family!!Landholder (if different)
 
|-               
 
|-               
|[[http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Kilmore/Aghalurcher_Glebe/1358295/|John Berry]]||
+
|[http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Kilmore/Aghalurcher_Glebe/1358295/ John Berry]||
 
|-
 
|-
|[[http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Kilmore/Aghalurcher_Glebe/1358294/Edward Teague]]||
+
|[http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Kilmore/Aghalurcher_Glebe/1358294/ Edward Teague]||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}

Latest revision as of 01:04, 11 December 2012

Aghalurcher Glebe is a townland in South-Eastern County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.


Etymology

  • 1834 - Aghalurcher - Ordinance Survey Memoirs

Aghalurcher Glebe (Irish: Achadh Urchaire) means "field of the shot or cast"

The original lrish name of Aghalurcher is ACHADH URCHAIR (the name also used by the Four Masters) which means the field of the shot or cast, the name is accounted for, as usual, by a legend about the patron saint (St Ronan). The people disputed about the place where the church was to be erected and they finally came to the agreement to cast a stone into the firmament by a sling (CRANN TABHAILL) and to build the church upon the spot in which God would permit it to fall. The stone was flung, and fell at a considerable distance from the place on the beautiful field not far from the eastern bank of Lough Erne, where the

ruins of the old church are now to be seen. The patron saint gave this place the name Achadh Urchair (field of the shot) from this circumstance.

—John O'Donovan, November 24th 1834

1901 Census

Head of Family Landholder (if different)
John Berry
Edward Teague

Religion