The Arney River is a small river in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, feeding from Lower Lough MacNean and into Upper Lough Erne. It meanders through a wide, flat Glacial Trough between the uplands of Fermanagh, Belmore Mountain and the Cuilcagh Mountains. The valley is characterised by wide flat lowlands enclosed by low hills. The Cladagh River drains into the Arney River.
There are six bridging points on the Arney River, five of these are suitable for motorised vehicles, while one is located on private land near to the source of the river.
In August 1594, early in the rising of Ulster's chiefs, the English army was marching north to relieve the besieged garrison of Enniskillen. It was surprised and routed in the Arney River. Blood soaked into the fields at the edge of the river and military stores floated in the river's ford, resulting in the area being named the Red Meadow and the Ford of Biscuits. In February 1594, an English army took and garrisoned Enniskillen. The fort was promptly besieged by Hugh Maguire, Red Hugh O’Donnell and Cormac McBarron O’Neill (Hugh O’Neill’s brother). A relief army led by Sir Henry Duke was ambushed on the Arney River and routed by Maguire in the Battle of the Ford of the Biscuit: a title commemorating the sight of English rations floating down the Arney.
- "Coarse Fishing". Northern Regional Fisheries Board. http://www.nrfb.ie/fishing/coarse/index.htm. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- "The Arney Lowlands Landscape". Northern Ireland Environment Agency. http://www.ni-environment.gov.uk/landscape/country_landscape/8/8-land.htm. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- "Arney to Swanlinbar Lowlands". Bréifne. http://www.breifne.ie/content.asp?ID=1557. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- Glassie, Henry (1998 (reprint)). Irish Folk History: Texts from the North. University of Pennsylvania Press. p. 6. ISBN 0812211235.
- "Rebellion and the Nine Years War". Enniskillen Castle. http://www.enniskillencastle.co.uk/uploads/docs/Rebellion%20&%20The%20Nine%20Years%20War.pdf. Retrieved 27 February 2009.