Difference between revisions of "Corrardaghy"

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 69: Line 69:
  
 
==Surnames in 2005==
 
==Surnames in 2005==
Faux                          Davis                            McPhillips
+
*Faux                           
King                          Kelly                            Crudden
+
*Davis                             
 +
*McPhillips
 +
*King                           
 +
*Kelly                             
 +
*Crudden
  
 
This townland is better known as [[Cornagague]] which is closer to the ‘Coronegegie’ of the 1613 grant.  The school referred to in the Griffith Valuation was the building, now a private house, on the corner of the road and was always referred to as Cornagague School. Our document from 1872 is a bit of a mystery unless in later life, the James McCaffrey was seeking a confirmation of his age.
 
This townland is better known as [[Cornagague]] which is closer to the ‘Coronegegie’ of the 1613 grant.  The school referred to in the Griffith Valuation was the building, now a private house, on the corner of the road and was always referred to as Cornagague School. Our document from 1872 is a bit of a mystery unless in later life, the James McCaffrey was seeking a confirmation of his age.
McCaffrey 
 
  Among the principal teachers were Mr Doonagan, Mr McCluskey, Miss Hyland, Miss Maguire and Mr Ben Quinn.  The present school a short distance away is still locally known by the old name though it  is officially Corrardaghy.  In the near future it too will be replaced by a new building in [[Tattynageeragh]].  At one time there was also an area known as Woody Hill lying between the [[Drumsoo]] road and the [[Killylacky]] road.
 
  
On the McPhillips farm there are traces of burnt mounds beside the river.  These are pre-historic remains which are thought to have been relatively common in County Fermanagh but because they were not particularly outstanding many were destroyed in farming operations.  In the time before man had developed the skill of making large pots, an oval pit was dug and lined with wood.  A fire was built close by and large stones were heated red hot and then dropped into this pit which was already filled with water.  The stones heated the water and more stones were added to keep the water boiling. It may have been for cooking large chunks of meat or perhaps used for cleaning hides or felting primitive woollen cloth.  The cooling stones were removed but many of them shattered and were dropped around the pit thus building up the mound. At one time there were mounds and hollows which may have been similar in [[Lisnamallard]].
+
Among the principal teachers were Mr Doonagan, Mr McCluskey, Miss Hyland, Miss Maguire and Mr Ben Quinn.  The present school a short distance away is still locally known by the old name though it  is officially Corrardaghy.  In the near future it too will be replaced by a new building in [[Tattynageeragh]].  At one time there was also an area known as Woody Hill lying between the [[Drumsoo]] road and the [[Killylacky]] road.
(There is a fuller explanation of mounds of this type and information on some which were excavated in Fermanagh History and Society Murphy and Roulson.)
+
 
 +
On the McPhillips farm there are traces of burnt mounds beside the river.  These are pre-historic remains which are thought to have been relatively common in County Fermanagh but because they were not particularly outstanding many were destroyed in farming operations.  In the time before man had developed the skill of making large pots, an oval pit was dug and lined with wood.  A fire was built close by and large stones were heated red hot and then dropped into this pit which was already filled with water.  The stones heated the water and more stones were added to keep the water boiling. It may have been for cooking large chunks of meat or perhaps used for cleaning hides or felting primitive woollen cloth.  The cooling stones were removed but many of them shattered and were dropped around the pit thus building up the mound. At one time there were mounds and hollows which may have been similar in [[Lisnamallard]]. (There is a fuller explanation of mounds of this type and information on some which were excavated in Fermanagh History and Society Murphy and Roulson.)

Latest revision as of 22:41, 12 December 2010

CORRARDAGHY (hill of the high field)

Area 184:2:23 including 8 acres of water, Cornagague Lough and Killylacky Lough
“Coronegegie” granted to John Sedborough.

Griffiths Valuation 1862

Occupier Lessor Tenement
James Johnston John Brady Land
John McCaffrey John Brady House, Offices & Land
Philip McIlroy John Brady House, Offices & Land
Elizabeth Maguire John Brady House, Offices & Land
Catherine McAvinie John Brady House, Offices & Land
Hugh McCaffrey Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land
National School House Rev Hammond Dawson Exemptions
James Doonagan Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land
Bernard Haffy Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land
Elizabeth Maguire Rev Hammond Dawson Land
Joseph McKiernan Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land
James McCullagh Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land
Thomas McCaffrey Rev Hammond Dawson House, Offices & Land

John Brady of Johnstown, Magheraveeley was by this time a substantial landowner in the area having acquired several townlands, some from Mount Sedborough but from other estates as well. Who the Rev. Hammond Dawson was we have no idea but there were Dawsons who held large estates in Co. Monaghan.

1901 Census

Head of Family Landholder (if different)
Felix Swift
Anne Duffy
Margaret Scollan
James Fitzpatrick
Pat Swift
William McMahon
Catherine Haffey
Terence Scollan
Anne McCullagh

Bernard Carey||

Surnames in 2005

  • Faux
  • Davis
  • McPhillips
  • King
  • Kelly
  • Crudden

This townland is better known as Cornagague which is closer to the ‘Coronegegie’ of the 1613 grant. The school referred to in the Griffith Valuation was the building, now a private house, on the corner of the road and was always referred to as Cornagague School. Our document from 1872 is a bit of a mystery unless in later life, the James McCaffrey was seeking a confirmation of his age.

Among the principal teachers were Mr Doonagan, Mr McCluskey, Miss Hyland, Miss Maguire and Mr Ben Quinn. The present school a short distance away is still locally known by the old name though it is officially Corrardaghy. In the near future it too will be replaced by a new building in Tattynageeragh. At one time there was also an area known as Woody Hill lying between the Drumsoo road and the Killylacky road.

On the McPhillips farm there are traces of burnt mounds beside the river. These are pre-historic remains which are thought to have been relatively common in County Fermanagh but because they were not particularly outstanding many were destroyed in farming operations. In the time before man had developed the skill of making large pots, an oval pit was dug and lined with wood. A fire was built close by and large stones were heated red hot and then dropped into this pit which was already filled with water. The stones heated the water and more stones were added to keep the water boiling. It may have been for cooking large chunks of meat or perhaps used for cleaning hides or felting primitive woollen cloth. The cooling stones were removed but many of them shattered and were dropped around the pit thus building up the mound. At one time there were mounds and hollows which may have been similar in Lisnamallard. (There is a fuller explanation of mounds of this type and information on some which were excavated in Fermanagh History and Society Murphy and Roulson.)