Difference between revisions of "Corrardaghy"

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with 'CORRARDAGHY (hill of the high field) Area 184:2:23 including 8 acres of water, Cornagague Lough and Killylacky Lough “Coronegegie” granted to John Sedborough. ==Griffiths …')
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[Category:Townland]]
 
CORRARDAGHY
 
CORRARDAGHY
 
(hill of the high field)
 
(hill of the high field)

Revision as of 23:26, 27 June 2010

CORRARDAGHY (hill of the high field)

Area 184:2:23 including 8 acres of water, Cornagague Lough and Killylacky Lough
“Coronegegie” granted to John Sedborough.

Griffiths Valuation 1862

Occupier…………………..Lessor James Johnston………………… John Brady Land John McCaffrey………………... John Brady H Os & Land Philip McIlroy………………......John Brady H Os & Land Elizabeth Maguire……………... John Brady H Os & Land Catherine McAvinie…………… John Brady H Os & Land Hugh McCaffrey………………...Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L National School House……….....Rev Hammond Dawson Exemptions James Doonagan………………...Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L Bernard Haffy…………………...Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L Elizabeth Maguire……………....Rev Hammond Dawson Land Joseph McKiernan………………Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L James McCullagh…………….....Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L Thomas McCaffrey……………..Rev Hammond Dawson H Os & L

John Brady of Johnstown, Magheraveeley was by this time a substantial landowner in the area having acquired several townlands, some from Mount Sedborough but from other estates as well. Who the Rev. Hammond Dawson was we have no idea but there were Dawsons who held large estates in Co. Monaghan.





1901 Census

Head of family……………Landholder if different Felix Swift Anne Duffy Margaret Scollan James Fitzpatrick Pat Swift William McMahon Catherine Haffey Terence Scollan Anne McCullagh Bernard Carey

Surnames in 2005

Faux Davis McPhillips King Kelly Crudden

This townland is better known as Cornagague which is closer to the ‘Coronegegie’ of the 1613 grant. The school referred to in the Griffith Valuation was the building, now a private house, on the corner of the road and was always referred to as Cornagague School. Our document from 1872 is a bit of a mystery unless in later life, the James McCaffrey was seeking a confirmation of his age.

McCaffrey  
 Among the principal teachers were Mr Doonagan, Mr McCluskey, Miss Hyland, Miss Maguire and Mr Ben Quinn.  The present school a short distance away is still locally known by the old name though it  is officially Corrardaghy.  In the near future it too will be replaced by a new building in Tattynageeragh.  At one time there was also an area known as Woody Hill lying between the Drumsoo road and the Killylacky road.

On the McPhillips farm there are traces of burnt mounds beside the river. These are pre-historic remains which are thought to have been relatively common in County Fermanagh but because they were not particularly outstanding many were destroyed in farming operations. In the time before man had developed the skill of making large pots, an oval pit was dug and lined with wood. A fire was built close by and large stones were heated red hot and then dropped into this pit which was already filled with water. The stones heated the water and more stones were added to keep the water boiling. It may have been for cooking large chunks of meat or perhaps used for cleaning hides or felting primitive woollen cloth. The cooling stones were removed but many of them shattered and were dropped around the pit thus building up the mound. At one time there were mounds and hollows which may have been similar in Lisnamallard.

(There is a fuller explanation of mounds of this type and information on some which were excavated in Fermanagh History and Society Murphy and Roulson.)