Cortrasna

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to: navigation, search

CORTRASNA ( cross hill, standing sideways) Shannock Manor

Griffiths Valuation 1862

Occupier…………………. Lessor Description James Clarke…………………....Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L William Johnston…………........ Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L David Clarke……………………Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L Samuel Clarke…………………..Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L Christopher Clarke…………….. Mrs Dixon & others L Samuel & Christopher Clarke………………………….. Mrs Dixon & others L

1901 Census

Head of Family…………....Landholder if different Pat Murray Eliza Clarke John Cassidy Robert Clarke

Surnames 2005

Doonan O’Hara Deering Gallagher Clarke

GAA Ground

From 1955 a small area of this townland close to the main road has been the home of the local GAA club. In common with all sporting activity in this area, the early years are a story of a struggle to improvise or provide facilities on a limited budget. At first this ground was rented and then for a period was unavailable and the club had to rely on ‘borrowing for the occasion’ the grounds for other clubs. By 1982, the club was able to return to Cortrasna and purchase the land they had used. Further fund-raising and the aid of a development grant ensured the club a pitch and facilities for the future. They have recently published a very full and enjoyable history of the club since its foundation.