Drumbroughas

From FermanaghRoots.com
Jump to: navigation, search

DRUMBROUGHAS (ridge of the abode or dwelling) Area 153:0:39 Shannock Manor

Griffiths Valuation 1862

Occupier……………………… Lessor James Gawly……………….................Mrs Dixon & others H 0s & L Christopher Clarke…………………....Mrs Dixon & others Herd’s house 0s & L Mary Maguire……………………….. Mrs Dixon & others Land Thomas McGarl………………………Mrs Dixon & others H & garden John McGane………………………....Mary Maguire House Robert Gawly ………………………...Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L James Little…………………………...Mrs Dixon & others Land Hugh Blakely………………………….Mrs Dixon & others H Os & L Bridget Corr…………………...............Hugh Blakely House


1901 Census

Head of Family…………………Landholder if different Thomas McGardle James Gauley Alice Sweeny………………………….William Clark Sarah Gauley The surname McGarl is another spelling of McGardle and a third spelling is on a headstone in St. Marks Aghadrumsee where it is McCarrell. Gauley is another surname which has often been spelt Gawley in these lists. Another surname once found in this townland was Totten who built the present Gauley house.

Surnames in 2005

Gauley

Local tradition

The remains of a track across this town land and Dernacloy can be followed up through Follom Little and Follum Big on the 1835 O.S. map. The tradition is that this was a route from Clones to Clogher, the two prominent religious centres of early Christianity. As far as can be judged from a map, a straight line from Clones to Clogher is along this route but going over the summit of Slieve Beagh. However a slight west ward detour somewhere along the route would avoid this. Part of the road would have been very close to the entrance to the G AA ground and on up the hill past Deering’s house to join the present Lynch’s Mill Road. The junction with the main road and the Lynch’s Mill Road has been moved some distance nearer Roslea since then.