|This townland has been mapped on OSM, click the following link to see : Rathmoran|
Area 83:2:38 including part Tattycam Lough
- 1609 - lism'moran (Slutdonogh)
- 1833 - Ráth Moráin "Moran's fort"
- 2004 - Ráth Mhic Mhóráin "MacMoran's fort"
Rathmoran means Moran’s rath
Rathmoran CastleThis was the site of Rathmoran castle.
Sir Hugh Wirrall hath 1000 acres called Ardmagh. Upon this Proportion there is a Bawne of Lime and Stone, 60 feet square, with two flankers, and a little stone house within it standing waste. In March of 1629 a re-grant of this manor was made to Sir Thomas Rotherham, Stephen Allen and Martyn Baxter.
– 'The Plantation of Ulster 1608-1620’ by the Rev George Hill
We do not know if it was by purchase or by inheritance but after 1641 Sir Gilbert Eccles enters the scene. He was born in Ayrshire in 1602 and settled in Ireland with estates in Fermanagh and Tyrone among them being this grant. He also held Shannock Manor. His principal estate was Ecclesville near Fintona, Co Tyrone. It is rather difficult to follow which of the family held Rathmoran but it was his third son Joseph who was in Rathmoran in 1712 . Later there was a Robert and then a Daniel in 1781. In 1835, In the Ordinance Survey Memoirs for the parish of Galloon records the names of 27 townlands:- Aghadreencen Glebe, Aughnaclough, Ballagh, Ballyhullagh, Baltreagh, Boarran, Bunneal, Carmonlea, Carrowmaculla, Carrowmore, Coolnassillagh, Cloughagaddy, Kerinbeg, Kerinmore, Kilturk North, Knockboy, Lissagorry Glebe, Midhill, Monanacleigh, Mullaghcapple, Mullaghcapple Glebe, Rockfield, Tattycam, Tannabwee with the comment that ‘The manor of Rathmoran did belong to Daniel Eccles, Esq. but it is now in hands of several persons.’ Many of the townlands in this part of the manor were sold to James Haire, described as a Barrister of Law, Dublin.
1823 Church of Ireland Census
The following is an extract from a survey of the North-West Division of Clones Parish.
|Forster, James & Jane||-||5|
Griffiths Valuation 1862
|Thomas Tierney||James Hare||House, Offices & Land|
|James McCaffrey||James Hare||House, Offices & Land|
|John Buchanan||James Hare||House, Offices & Land|
|Patrick Tierney||James Hare||House, Offices & Land|
By 1835 the castle was in ruins but later part of it was converted into a dwelling house and was lived in by the Buchanan family.
|Head of family||Landholder (if different)|
|John Bleakley||Thomas Tierney, Tattycam|
Surnames in 2005
The Daniel Stone
After the last of the Buchanan family died, the property was sold and the house fell into disrepair but for many years there was an object of interest in the ruins. This was called the Daniel Stone and was a representation of the Bible story of Daniel in the lion’s den. Originally it may have been a carved stone chimney piece. It was quite weathered but the figure of a man full face in the centre with two lions walking towards him on either side could be made out quite easily. Many local people went to see it and there was general agreement that this had been part of the castle building. Unfortunately this stone has disappeared within the last thirty years as have the ruins.
James Tierney knew the ruins of the castle well. At that time it was a farmhouse occupied by James Buchanan but Mr Tierney says that the size of the stones and the thickness of the walls would give you a clue that it was part of a more substantial building. He particularly remembers the well which was very deep and lined with proper stone steps down and was much larger and more elaborate than any other well in the area. The fact that the Rathmoran estate was held by one family for almost 200 years makes its dispersal easier to follow. The Haire family acquired most of the townlands and revived the earlier name of Armagh Manor. By 1925 the local townlands were sold to the tenants of Lisnamallard, Rathmoran, Keeranbeg, Tattycam, Ballagh, Coolnasillagh, Bosallagh, Kilturk W., Lammy and Tattynageeragh.