Tully is a townland in South-East County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Tully is by far the biggest townland in the area, it stretches down from the Fivemiletown road at Doon to just cross the B36 road. The part of Tully near Doon is known as Altaveagh (or Altabeaghoge as the 1835 map has it).
Area 988 acres
Tully is one of the most common townland names, either on its own or part of a longer name (ie Tullymore). Tully translates to English as a "hill, small hill".
Griffiths Valuation 1862
|Thomas Caldwell||Joseph Johnston||House, Offices & Land|
|Joseph Johnston||Samuel Glenny||Herd’s House, Offices & Land|
|John Jones||Joseph Johnston||House|
|William Johnston||Samuel Glenny||Herd’s House, Offices & Land|
|Jane McDonnell||William Johnston||House|
|Charles McCullen||William Johnston||House & Office|
|Robert Foster||William Johnston||House|
|John Johnston||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|Margaret McDougal||John Johnston||House|
|John McKenna||John Johnston||House|
|Peter Lynch||Samuel Glenny||House, Office & Land|
|Mary Lynch||Peter Lynch||House & Small garden|
|Edward Maguire||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|Roger Sweeny||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|Bernard Smyth||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|James Killen||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|Margaret Mulligan||Samuel Glenny||Herd’s house, Offices & Land|
|Thomas Mulligan||Samuel Glenny||House, Offices & Land|
|Head of Family||Landholder (if different)|
|John McElgunn||Joseph Johnston|
|Edward McMark||William Worrell|
Surnames in 2005
The Samuel Glenny referred to in the Griffiths Valuation of 1862 was a Corn and Commission Merchant, living in Liverpool. There is a Bankruptcy notice in 1860 for "Samuel Glenny & Co" of Liverpool and Newry.
Samuels father was Isaac George GLENNEY, Newry, Ireland. There is a record of a Samuel Glenny donating £1 to the Workhouse in Newry in 1836. Samuel married Harriot Maxwell in 1852 at St Marys, Newry.
In the Census of 1861, Samuel (57yo) and Harriett (52yo) are listed as living in Toxteth Park, Liverpool, England. Also listed is a servant Bessie Fayle (28) as well as two children, Annabella (15yo) and Elizabeth (13yo).
Samuel died in March 1881, West Derby. ** More Information needed **
It seems that Annabella Glenny married Dodwell Franis BROWNE on 9th August 1871. Dodwell Brown came from Raheens Estate, Rathain, Mayo, Ireland. He was refered to as Judge Brown (JP). Judge Brown died on 28th July 1920, leaving the estate to his widow Annabella.
It is unclear if the Glenny family owned or rented Tully. But they often came and used it as a shooting estate.
- How did the Glennys originally acquire Tully?
- Who owned Tully before the Glenny family?
- How and when did the Glenny family lose Tully?
The farm of William Worrell was sold by his son Robert in 1930. Robert had been kidnapped by the IRA during the troubles of the 1920’s and although he escaped at the time, subsequently suffered ill-health .The family then emigrated to Canada. The Auction notice gives us a picture of the range of stock, tools and machinery which was available to a fairly good farm in the 1920’s.
N.R.BIRNEY’S SALES, FRIDAY, 4TH APRIL, 1930, at 11 o’clock.- Sale of Mr Robert Worrall’s farm of land which he holds, situate in the townland of TULLY. The farm consists of 169 acres or thereabouts, held in fee simple, subject to the half-yearly instalment of £11 19s 10d, payable to the Minister of Finance, Northern Ireland. It is situated five miles from Lisnaskea, and convenient to Ballagh Cross, and is intersected by the county road. There is a cotter’s house let at £3 18s per year: also a forge which can be let at the same rent. There are about 50 acres of the area the best of black turf bog. A large potion of it is let, and brings in a good income. The land is dry, of a lime stone nature. The buildings consist of a good two-storey slated dwelling house of eight apartments, two-horse stable, loose boxes, 12 cow byre, piggeries, machinery, calf and turf-house.
After the sale of the farm, I shall sell:- Six cows (three in full milk and three springers), seven calves, one horse, two donkeys, 60 head of fowl, one cart, two sets of cart harness, two sets of ploughing chains, saddle and bridle, mowing machine, tedder, raker, tumbling paddy, Amanco engine,3½h.p.,threshing drum, with turnip grinder attached to engine; turnip sower, one swing plough, chill plough, two-horse grubber, planet hoe with drilling body, drill plough, one double harrow, one single harrow, water cart, slipe, ladders, 35-gallon boiler, two creamery cans, three tubs, one barrel, 10 gallon oil tank, two petrol tins, spades, shovels, graips, rakes, drag, creels, pedal grinding stone, six pits of potatoes, turnips, mangels, hay and turf, cabbage plants, 10 bags good white corn, two bicycles, sewing machine, and a quantity of household furniture, including tables, chairs, beds, presses, cabinet, china, delph, crocks, pots, pans, buckets, cans, pictures, etc.’'
– Courtesy of The Impartial Reporter, April 1930
At one time the old Johnston house on the roadside was an inn. Very likely that was before 1840 when this was the main road, before the New Line was built.
Between half and two-thirds of this townland is now Tully Forest. In 1950 the Forestry Commission was planting land at Doon and from then on land was purchased in this area. Work commenced on Tully with the building of a road for which the stones from empty farmhouses and buildings were used. Planting was finished by the end of the 1950’s. There had of course been a track through Tully for generations. One of our members has told us of his grandmother bringing him to visit friends who lived in Kimran townland which is across the Fivemiletown road near Doon. She stood him in a meal-bag, fixed it carefully under his armpits so that he could stand comfortably and then hoisting the bag on her back set off up the mountain. Quite a Sunday afternoon stroll for a lady who was at least in her late sixties. Luckily he was a slim little toddler at the time.
The Forge Lane also runs through Tully from the main road to the Tattycam road. It takes its name from the forge which was midway along it. From 1940 to 1959 the blacksmith was John McCabe and before that John Mack.
Near the eastern edge of Tully are the remains of two quarries worked by Ben Carey. The first closed in 1940, the second in 1970. The quarry worked before quarrying became the mechanised business it is today. One of the jobs Mr Carey remembers is bringing the stones for the foundation of the new school at Aghadrumsee. This would have been around 1935 or 1936 as the school opened in the spring of 1937. The stones were drawn in a horse and cart to the bottom of the hill at Killyfole and left in a pile at the side of the road because the horse could not take a full load up that hill. Smaller loads were then carted up as needed.
Buildings of Note
The P.J. Maguire house in Tully was originally a three-story building with a thatched roof. During renovation work a stone with the date 1774 was found. There are two explanations for such a building. One that we have been given is that it was a barracks; the other is that it was built and used as a shooting lodge by the Glenny connection. In the two hundred and thirty years since it was built it could have been used for either, but perhaps not a barracks as in police barracks but possibly a military barracks at some time.