|This townland has been mapped on OSM, click the following link to see : Killyfole|
- 1833 - Coille Phóil "Paul's wood" - J O'D (OSNB) B134 B67
- 1987 - Coillidh Pholl "wood of hollows" - PNP talk PMcK
Killyfole is believed to mean "wood of the deep Hollow"
The earliest building around here may have been the crannog in the centre of the Killyfole Lough. When the water level falls it becomes visible and was examined by experts when the lake was drained prior to becoming a reservoir. They believe this crannog was inhabited during medieval times.
Griffith Valuation 1862
|Thomas Gunn||John Brady||House, Offices and Land|
|James Gunn||John Brady||House, Offices and Land|
|Joseph Johnston||John Brady||House, Offices, Cornmill, Kilns and Land|
|Francis Maguire||Joseph Johnston||House|
|John Kellegher||Joseph Johnston||House|
|John Killen||Joseph Johnston||House|
|Thomas McCaffrey||Joseph Johnston||House|
|John Sweeny||John Bradey||House, Offices and Land|
|Susan McMahon||John Bradey||House, Offices and Land|
|Thomas Gunn||John Bradey||House, Offices and Land|
|Head of Family||Landholder (if different)|
|Owen Keiran||Joseph Johnston|
|John EcElgunn||Edward McElgunn|
Surnames in 2005
In the early 1960s Lisnaskea Rural District Council decided to turn the lake into a reservoir for the supply of piped water to the Rosslea, Newtownbutler, Lisnaskea, Maguiresbridge and Brookeborough districts.
The Killyfole and District Development Association
The Killyfole and District Development Association was formed in September 1999. It aims to enhance the welfare and lifestyle of those who live in the wider area around Killyfole Lough. We felt this well known landmark, would enable the wider public to pinpoint our location with accuracy.