|Irish: "Cnoc an Riabháin" or "Cnoc a Rebhain"|
|Irish grid reference|
|District||Fermanagh District Council|
|Constituent country||Northern Ireland|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||028 677|
|European Parliament||Northern Ireland|
|UK Parliament||Fermanagh and South Tyrone|
|NI Assembly||Fermanagh and South Tyrone|
|List of places: UK • Northern Ireland •|
- 1833 - Cnoc a Rebhain "Revan's hill"
- 2004 - Cnoc an Riabháin "hill of the pipit or skylark"
Crockarevan is believed to mean "hill of the skylarks"
Griffiths Valuation 1862
Occupier……………… Lessor Bernard McGuiness……….. Samuel Mayne H Os L Robert Doonan…………….. John Mayne H Os L John Mayne………………… in fee H Os L Bernard Donagher…………. John Mayne House Elizabeth Bailey…………… John Mayne House
Head of Family…………Name of Landholder if different Mary Killen James Downey Philip Sweeney……………... James Downey
Surnames in 2005
McCabe McCartney Lunny McCabe McCarville Former Residents Chambers Stutt.
The McGuiness family operated a corn-mill on where the road crosses the stream on Mr P. McCabe’s farm. Possibly this mill was before the Killyfole mill as the water supply here would have been erratic and it seemed sensible to move to where there was a ready made mill-dam in the form of the lough. We believe the McGuiness family immigrated to Scotland.
There was a lime kiln on the McCartney farm but only part of the base remains. Lime kilns were quite common in the countryside at one time but fell into disuse and the stones were taken for other purposes. Lime was produced by the burning limestone which became powdery and was used as a fertilizer. It was also used both to make the mortar for stone buildings and to make the whitewash that was traditionally used on houses and farm buildings which help to smooth and protect rough walls.
Mrs Stutt’s shop actually was in Killyfole townland but on the roadside almost in Crockarevan. She carried on a busy country shop attached to the family home for over forty years.
The following three townlands Corflugh, Dernabacky, and Strananerriagh are now all substantially forestry. Lying as they do mainly on the mountain area all were bought by the Ministry of Agriculture Forestry Department. Although the Forestry Commission had existed since 1921, there was between only 2 and 3 thousand acres of forestry in Fermanagh by 1947. Because of the scarcity of timber during and after the War, the decision was taken to drastically increase the rate of planting. By 1964, there were almost 19 thousand acres with almost the same amount of land purchased ready for planting. While the Forestry had to plant tree types which would grow on the soil available, one wishes that they had found an occasional small area for some native deciduous trees.